FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

A. General

1.  How can foreign students enter UTHM?

All foreign students are required to register as full time students.

2.  In what state is Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM) can be found?

Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM), is located in Batu Pahat, Johor, the southern vibrant economic corridor of Peninsular Malaysia.

3.  Where to stay at UTHM?

If you come to UTHM, you can stay at the University’s Residential College (subjected to availability).

4.  How can students apply to stay at the University’s Residential College?

Students can fill in the application form available at the counter of Centre for Graduate Studies, UTHM.

5.  Are all Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM) students eligible to stay in campus?

Only first semester’s students are given the privilege to stay in the campus.

6.  What are the requirements for admission to Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM)?

The requirements for admission to Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia vary according to the academic programme. Please browse our admission page for details.

7.  Does UTHM provide scholarships and funds for international Students?

UTHM does provide scholarships and funds for our National and International students but they are primarily reserved for academically excellent students.

8.  Does UTHM provide sports and recreation facilities for their students?

Definitely, UTHM Sports Unit caters for the sports and recreational needs of the University’s community. Its mission is to nurture the development and expansion of sports culture in the University. In addition, it promotes the cultivation of healthy lifestyle among students and staff. The exciting annual sport events for both staff and students have always been filled with delightful competition.

B. Application

1.  I have submitted my application to undertake post-graduate studies at UTHM but I receive a letter indicating that I am unsuccessful. May I know the reason

Your application has been evaluated by the Faculty/Centre in accordance with the criteria for admission. There are various reasons why an application is rejected. For example, a highly competitive programme, lack of experience, does not meet the minimum requirements, etc.

2.  I have submitted my application to further my studies. When will I receive the result?

It takes approximately 6 week for an application to be processed and the offer letter to be issued.

3.  What is the procedure for entry into the postgraduate degree programme: application procedure, qualifications needed, work experience, payment of fees? Who can I name to be the Referee and how long does it take to process my application?

All applications need to made via our online system. Please visit our admission page for details. The processing period for the programme takes approximately 6 week.

4.  I wish to enrol as a postgraduate student in UTHM. May I know the programmes of study offered?

UTHM offers three modes of study: Research, Mixed Mode and Coursework. These are offered in various disciplines on a full-time or part-time basis.

5.  Is it possible to register for two (2) postgraduate courses at any one time, that is, by research and the other by coursework?

No, the regulations do not permit a student to enrol for 2 programmes of study concurrently in this University and neither can a student be registered at any other University whilst pursuing a course of study here.

6.  I am currently studying for my Master’s degree at UTM, Skudai, Johore. I wish to transfer to UTHM to continue my study. Am I allowed and what is the procedure?

This is allowed for research programme only. However you are required to fill up the application form and include a note to explain the situation.

C. Admission

1.  I have registered with UTHM but I have not received my matric card. How long does it take for the card to be ready for collection?

     Normally, the matric card is issued on the registration day, unless there is amendment or correction of personal particulars.

2.  Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I am unable to register as a coursework candidate in March or September. What am I supposed to do?

Late registration will be permitted only under special circumstances and subject to the approval of the Dean/Deputy Dean of the Centre for Graduate Studies. It is only allowed for a period of two (2) weeks after the stipulated registration dates. However, if two (2) weeks is insufficient, we recommend the student to defer registration to the coming session. (March and September only)

3.  I will be completing my Masters degree soon with another University abroad. Simultaneously, I would like to pursue my Ph.D degree with UTHM. Am I allowed to apply?

Registration for a Ph.D degree with UTHM without a recognized Masters degree is not permitted. The regulations for admission states that you must be in possession of a Masters degree before you can register. However, you still eligible to apply, but your application will be hold until you provide us with your senate approval letter.

4.  I am a registered Masters candidate with UTHM and I wish to pursue another Masters degree in one of our local Universities or maybe abroad. Am I permitted?

Simultaneous registration for another degree with any other university, locally or abroad, without prior permission from UTHM is not allowed.

5.  I am offered admission as a full-time student. Can I request for a change of status to part-time?

     Yes, you are allowed to change by filling the Application to Change Registration Status form. However the change from full-time to part-time or vice versa is only permitted once throughout your study.

D. Candidature Matters

1.  How can I check on the student fees ?

     Students can check for the rates and types of fees at the Bursary's Office website.

2.  When is the deadline for fees to be paid by the student ?

     Students must pay all fees within three weeks after the semester begins, except for the sponsored students.

3.  What methods can be used to pay the fees ?

     The payment of fees can be done using the following methods : -

 i . Debit card or cash at the Bursary counter
ii . Bank Draft / Money Order in the name of Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia
iii .Bank Muamalat Malaysia Berhad slip for the registration of new students

4.  Should I postpone the study, can I ask for refund of the fees that have been paid ?

Students who are given permission for leave of absence after the mid-semester have to pay the fees in full. Those who are given the permission before the mid-semester break will have to pay half of the tuition fees. However the service fee must be fully settled.

5. How many times is a student allowed a conversion of candidature from full-time to part-time and vice-versa ?

Conversions of status is only allowed ONCE during a candidature period, with the approval of the Dean of the Centre for Graduate Studies.

6.  My candidature will lapse in about 4 months time. To whom and where should I request for an extension ?

An extension of candidature must be made to the Dean of Centre for Graduate Studies at least 2 months prior to the expiration date of the candidature. For this purpose, a formal letter of appeal must be written to the Dean of Centre for Graduate Studies.

7.  I wish to terminate my candidature. Who should I inform?

Withdrawal from continuing your studies can be made to the Dean of Centre for Graduate Studies by filling the Study Withdrawal Form.

8.  As a research student, when my candidature lapses in July, do I need to re-register?

If your candidature lapses in July and provided that you have completed your research i.e. submitted 4 copies of your thesis, you still have to re-register to activate your status as a student until the viva is over. Should there be no progress as yet, you need to apply for an extension and re-register too. Otherwise you will be terminated by UTHM.

9.  I wish to change my candidature from coursework to research. What shall I do?

You need to fill in the Change of Programme Form.

10.  I wish to postpone my studies as my company will be sending me on an overseas assignment.What is the procedure?

Approval for postponement of studies must be made to the Dean of Centre for Graduate Studies by filling in the Suspension of Studies Request Form.

  • Hits: 4793

For any inquiries, feel free to contact us at:
Centre for Graduate Studies , Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia, 86400 Parit Raja, Batu Pahat Johor 
Tel : +607-453 7757 / 7906  Fax: +607-453 6111 
Email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

All Rights Reserved. Best viewed with any modern web browsers (for Internet Explorer, version 10 or newer; please click here to download latest browsers version)  with resolution of 1280x1024. This website is bound by the Legal Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Security Policy and Copyright Notice mentioned.

  • Last Modified: Sunday 04 April 2021, 17:10:37.